NAS homepage Fieldwork Reports: November 2000

2004
January
April

2003
April
August
September
November
2002
December
April
February
2000
November
Home | Events & Notices | Recent Discoveries | Publications | Links | How To Join | Contact Us

The following reports on recent archaeological fieldwork undertaken in Northamptonshire were published by NCC's Historic Environment Team (Northamptonshire Heritage) on 6 November 2000.

The full reports are available for consultation in the Northamptonshire Sites and Monuments Record

BRAMPTON ASH CHURCH
Watching Brief
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Small scale Watching Brief by Northamptonshire Archaeology. Up to 1.4m of grave earth above natural bedrock containing both articulated and disturbed burials in a pipe trench and new cess pit excavated through the grave earth. Finds included Late Saxon, medieval and 17th Century pottery.

BROCKHALL MANOR
Building Recording
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Internal recording by Northamptonshire Archaeology of grade II* listed C17th house with mid C18th gothick and major early C19th modifications. Conversion into flats underway at time of recording. Stone built, originally of H plan, relatively unadorned but a good example of a small country house. Recording attempts to build on RCHM(E)’s entry in the Country Houses of Northants by examining construction materials and details. Also notes the current alterations to the plan layout.

A14, BURTON LATIMER - LATIMER BUSINESS PARK
Excavation
Foundations Archaeology
Area excavations were carried out by Foundations Archaeology in advance of a new factory. Two phases of prehistoric activity were identified: Phase 1 contains tentative evidence for possible Late Mesolithic /Early Neolithic forest clearance at approx 5910+/-40 BP (4904 - 4714 cal BC). 15 tree throw holes, a linear feature (possibly containing deposited mixed material containing burnt pebbles and charcoal from the surrounding area), and a small circular pit all fall within this phase. However no artefactual evidence was recovered, and the whole phase may possible relate to natural processes and the early date for these activities must be weighed against the single C14 date.

Phase 2 consists of 2 Neolithic linear gullies, a ditch and a posthole. A single worked flint, 5 burnt pebbles and a small quantity of domesticated sheep/goat bone was recovered from the excavated sections, while a single radiocarbon date of 4170+/-40 BP (2880 - 2616 cal BC) was obtained from a post hole set into the junction of the 2 gullies. The features are interpreted as agricultural boundary markers or stock enclosures.

CATESBY HOUSE
Watching Brief
Woodfield Architectural and Archaeological Services
Rapid assessment survey by Woodfield Architectural and Archaeological Services. Following a breach of planning condition at Catesby House where a new landscape park is being created, the site was inspected. Box scrapers have been operating in the area for 2/3 weeks and the site strip was virtually complete. The site was walked intensively and landscape features including old paths and bridle paths were noted. Unsurprisingly virtually no finds were recovered. watching brief

MAWSLEY NEW VILLAGE, CRANSLEY
Evaluation
John Samuels Archaeological Consultants
Large trenching scheme by John Samuels Archaeological Consultants to evaluate the archaeological potential of the northern part of this large development site. 28 trenches across an extensive area of the new village development located further areas of Iron Age and Romano-British occupation around the Cransley Lodge area of the development site.

COVERT FARM (DIRFT EAST), CRICK/KILSBY
Watching Brief
Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit
Watching Brief by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit on Zones A and B, identified a continuation of archaeological features to the north of the excavated areas in the form of previously identified and dated Large Ditches, V shaped in profile and containing 2nd century AD pottery. Several curvilinear ditches were identified during final stripping of the upper alluvial levels (which were archaeologically sterile) continuing the identified pattern of seasonal occupation, inundation and reuse on this site. Watching Brief on Zones C D and E, carried out on behalf of Tesco, on areas outside of the excavated areas of DIRFT East revealed a concentration of Late Iron Age features in close proximity to cluster 18 from the earlier excavations.

LANG FARM NORTHERN VALLEY PARK, DAVENTRY
Watching Brief
Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd
An Archaeological Watching Brief was maintained by Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd during landscaping works. No archaeological features or deposits were identified, being characteristic of the whole area of the Lang Farm development.

FORMER 'ELEMENTIS' PIGMENT WORKS, DEANSHANGER
Evaluation
John Samuels Archaeological Consultants
Evaluation of a number of sites formerly part of the ‘Elementis’ pigment works complex undertaken by John Samuels Archaeological Consultants (fieldwork subcontracted to Northamptonshire Archaeology). 8 trenches were excavated targeted to test the potential of the least damaged areas of the Elementis Pigments industrial site. Archaeological survival was fragmentary, being restricted primarily to the allotments and the rear garden of Ladore Offices, where a few medieval features survived. 3 sherds of Late Saxon St Neots ware were recovered, and a few fragments of weathered human bone from a medieval feature, possibly indicating earlier burials within the vicinity and adding to the theory that Deanshanger perhaps had Saxon origins.

DITCHFORD SAND & GRAVEL QUARRY
Watching Brief
Oxford Archaeological Unit
Report on a 9 year watching brief carried out by Oxford Archaeological Unit as part of quarrying near Irchester Roman Town. 2 previous excavations in 1992 and 1994 examined a metalled medieval causeway and roman road respectively. Visits revealed an expansive sequence of environmental succession and channel movement from the early Holocene (8500 BC) through to the present day. The roman road was traced north from the excavated area as a metalled area, while a single isolated cremation appears to date to the early prehistoric period.

GRENDON QUARRY, LONG LODGE FARM EXTENSION
Evaluation
Herts Archaeological Trust
Archaeological evaluation by Herts Archaeological Trust. 13 trenches were excavated, containing archaeological features comprising ditches and pits dating to the Iron Age and continuing the adjacent occupation previously excavated.

HACKLETON TPS RISING MAIN
Watching Brief
Archaeologica Ltd
Watching Brief by Archaeologica Ltd on an Anglian Water pipeline scheme established that the pipeline passes through an area of old meandering stream courses in an area liable to flooding with little or no archaeological remains.

WALNUT TREE FILLING STATION, NORTH END, HIGHAM FERRERS

Watching Brief
Oxford Archaeological Unit
Watching Brief carried out by Oxford Archaeological Unit during geotechnical survey of the former petrol station identified archaeological remains comprising thick medieval soil deposits, a wall and potential demolition debris in 3 of the 11 pits excavated.

FORMER SEWAGE TREATMENT WORKS

watching brief
Oxford Archaeological Unit
Watching Brief carried out by Oxford Archaeological Unit during geotechnical survey of the former sewage works revealed no archaeological remains from a total of 16 trial pits excavated.

REGENT BELT WORKS, LONG BUCKBY
Building Recording
Recording prior to demolition of unlisted show factory built in 1903 in the “Bournville” style for Frederick Cook Ltd and known originally as “South Place Works”. Single storey works fronting Station Road with an arcaded façade. Forms an important part of the history of show making in Long Buckby and the county.

2 CHURCH STREET, MEARS ASHBY
Evaluation
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Desk-based assessment and small-scale trial trenching by Northamptonshire Archaeology. Very limited results indicating a lack of medieval occupation on this site on the Church Street frontage. One significant find was the addition of a new Pottery Type to the County Type Series and given the provisional designation, 439 Mears Ashby type earthenware.

NASEBY MANOR FARM, NASEBY
Watching Brief
Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit
Watching brief by Birmingham University Field Archaeology Unit during topsoil stripping revealed very sparse features - only 3 ditches and one sherd of medieval pottery.

FORMER 'BURGESS' SITE, ST PETER'S WAY, NORTHAMPTON
Evaluation
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Five trial trenches were opened by Northamptonshire Archaeology to evaluate the potential of this development site which lies within the precinct of the Augustinian Friary. The trial works revealed a number of features, walls and rudimentary floors. At least two phases of medieval occupation were identified, dating to the 13th - 15th C, finds included moulded stonework, window glass and decorated medieval floor tiles.

THE GRANARY, SOUTHBRIDGE: ADDENDUM TO PREVIOUS REPORT
Building Recording
Final stage of recording the Cotton End industrial area also included the transhipment shed, railway offices as well as relating to a separate recording exercise for the former Smith’s timber storage shed. Utilitarian structures with remnants of equipment and systems of operation still discernible. Important C19 /C20th industrial site on the riverside but also with a long past. Believed to have been associated with timber storage / preparation and brewing from the C16th. Addendum provides photographs and some analysis of previously inaccessible winch gear in the granary loft space.

LILFORD LODGE FARM, OUNDLE
Watching Brief
Archaeological Watching Brief by Northamptonshire Archaeology in advance of construction of fishponds. Heavily plough damaged features included a patch of burning containing charcoal bone and a sherd of late Neolithic pottery, an undated ditch and 3 limestone spreads thought to be natural.

THE MALTINGS, NORTH STREET
Building Recording
Recording of a Grade II listed Maltings prior to conversion to 5 dwellings. Constructed in stone with a Collyweston roof in an L shape. Dating from c 1750 and enlarged c1850. One of several maltings in the town which existed until the end of the 19th century, now the last unconverted example. Contributes to the understanding of malting in Oundle and the malting process and building type in the 18th and 19th centuries.

THE STABLES AT 'COBTHORN, WEST STREET
Building Recording
Recording of the stable block associated with ‘Cobthorn’, a grade I listed building dating from 1658. Recording prior to conversion of the stables, Grade II* to offices. The building is L shaped and lies close to the west of the house. Built in stone with collyweston roof and used as stables until the mid 20th century. Most internal fittings remaining. Extensively re-modelled in the 19th century leaving scant evidence of earlier work. Contributes to the understanding of ‘Cobthorn’, the history of Oundle and to this little studies building type.

28 HIGH STREET, POTTERSPURY
Limited Excavation
Northamptonshire Archaeological Volunteer Network
Volunteer observation of a 5 house development in Potterspury by members of the Northamptonshire Archaeological Volunteer Network (co-ordinated by Richard Ivens). The fieldwork revealed significant archaeological remains form the local pottery industry; features revealed included 2 medieval pottery kilns, a 14th century waster dump, a large 17th century waster dump up to 1m deep and covering backfilled medieval clay pits and a 17th century kiln, and a structural wall of possible medieval date. Later drainage runs revealed a further 2 medieval pottery kilns which were not damaged by the development. During the ongoing post-ex analysis it is becoming apparent that several new types of 17th century wares not previously identified as part of the Potterspury industry have been recovered from the site.

ROCKINGHAM CASTLE
Watching Brief
Northamptonshire Archaeology,br> Archaeological Watching Brief by Northamptonshire Archaeology, undertaken on Service works within the Scheduled Norman Castle as a requirement of Scheduled Monument Consent. 2 undated wall footings were identified. Finds included fragments of a green glass wine bottle dated to between 1738 - 1756, and 6 fragments of pottery dated to approx 1720 - 1780, as well as a few other post medieval sherds.

SANDY HILLS FARM, ROTHWELL
Evaluation
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Archaeological fieldwalking and trial trench evaluation by Northamptonshire Archaeology. Fieldwalking survey identified a light scatter of flints and well dispersed medieval and post medieval pot sherds. Trial trenching located the possible northern and eastern ditches of an enclosure tentatively dated to the Iron Age.

JOHN WHITE SHOE FACTORYRUSHDEN
Building Recording
Building recording of the John White Shoe Factory in Rushden, a grade II listed building, prior to conversion to luxury apartments. The building was designed by the architect Sir Albert Richardson for the prominent boot and shoe manufacturer John White. The recording included building survey, photographic survey and documentary analysis. The original plans of the building and correspondence between the architect and the client were found and related to the surviving building.

A43 ROAD IMPROVEMENT: SILVERSTONE & BRACKLEY HATCH SECTIONS, SILVERSTONE
Excavation
Earthwork survey and excavation of a trial trench across a bank and ditch in the Hazelborough Wood section of the road scheme. No dating evidence was recovered.

A43 ROAD IMPROVEMENT SILVERSTONE: SITES SL1 AND SL3
Evaluation,br> Northamptonshire Archaeology
Trial trenching by Northamptonshire Archaeology. A total of 10 trial trenches were excavated on 2 sites along the A43 corridor, targeted on sites identified in geophysical survey. Iron Age settlement evidence was recovered, complementing earlier fieldwalking collections.

23 LITTLE LANE, STANION
Evaluation
Richard Ivens
Archaeological Evaluation by Richard Ivens. 2 small evaluation trenches were excavated revealing a definite medieval path surface, some small features of uncertain date and approx. 200 sherds of medieval pottery.

25 MAIN STREET, SUDBOROUGH
Watching Brief
Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd
A watching brief was undertaken by Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd during construction of a detached garage and workshop at the rear of 25-26 Main Street Sudborough. The footing trenches were cut into undisturbed subsoil and no archaeological deposits were noted.

HIPWELL, UPPER HEYFORD
Evaluation
Hertfordshire Archaeological Trust
An extensive trenching exercise was carried out by the Hertfordshire Archaeological Trust in advance of proposals to extract minerals at the site. The main archaeological features relate to the continuation of a pit alignment previously known from aerial photography, which has produced limited dating evidence from the late Bronze Age. The remainder of the site contained sparse archaeological remains.

22 CHURCH STREET, WARMINGTON
Building Recording
Recording of a grade II listed domestic dwelling prior to major alterations and refurbishment. House and attached shop/workshop date from the 17th century, partly timber framed with unusual early constructional techniques. Contributes to knowledge of rural trades and vernacular architecture.

LAND ADJACENT TO 22 CHURCH STREET, WARMINGTON
Evaluation
Richard Ivens
20m of trial trenching by Richard Ivens provided limited evidence of earlier activity, with one feature dating to the Late Saxon / early medieval period and several other truncated and undated features. Pottery from the site included one early/middle Saxon sherd and a small amount of Late Saxon /medieval sherds.

LAND AT CHURCH WALK, WELDON
Evaluation
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Trial trenching by Northamptonshire Archaeology has confirmed medieval occupation fronting onto Church Lane, as indicated by cartographic evidence. Pits gullies pottery and associated iron smelting slag were recovered, although no furnaces or iron working hearths were found.

LITTLE WELDON ROMAN VILLA (SAM)
Watching Brief
Northamptonshire Archaeology
As a requirement of Scheduled Monument Consent for a new surface water pipe south of and parallel to the A43, a Watching Brief was kept by Northamptonshire Archaeology. The exercise revealed disturbed ground along most of the course of the new trench. However the eastern end did reveal a buried soil horizon probably dating to the medieval covered by probably post medieval alluvium, both containing residual Roman Pottery and ceramic tile.

CHAMBERS ROW, WELFORD
Evaluation
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Desk Based Study and Archaeological Evaluation by Northamptonshire Archaeology. During trenching no evidence for medieval tenements in this part of the village was recorded, although a single pit containing Romano-British pottery was found.

SULBY ABBEY FARM
Evaluation
Northamptonshire Archaeology
Archaeological Watching Brief by Northamptonshire Archaeology during construction of a new conservatory. Remains identified an undated wall on the same alignment as an 18th century extension and a trackway surface. A worked stone fragment with Collyweston Slate fragments and 2 ceramic tiles dating to the post-medieval period were also recovered.

RECTORY LANE, WOODFORD
Watching Brief
Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd
Archaeological Watching Brief by Archaeological Services & Consultancy Ltd on land to the Rear of De Capell House. Observations revealed that the site had been previously terraced to the east end, but that medieval features did survive in places as a medieval pit was identified in the south west corner of the site.

WEST STREET CHAPEL, WELLINGBOROUGH
Building Recording
Recording of a former Methodist Chapel prior to conversion to domestic. Grade II listed building dating from 1791. Exterior unaltered, interior modified, but retaining some features, fixtures and fittings. Contributes to the understanding of Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in the county.